Thursday 3 March 2011

A Stash of 78s!

On Monday I had to go to Burnley for a dental check-up. I hate going there by bus - the only reason I usually go back there is to visit my mum and stepdad, when we go by car and I don't have to be exposed to the rest of the town. But - there is one upside. If you know where to look, there are cheap vintage gems to be had.


I got these 78RPM records from the open market. The stallholder had lots of old books, antique and vintage tools and product packaging, DVDs including some great old movies, and a selection of records. I first spotted this Little Richard record below - my favourite rock 'n' roll musician. I asked the price expecting it to be close to the £10 mark, and was told "two or three pounds each". Well, being the cheeky chapette that I am, I took away six of these beauties for my £10.


Look at the great 1950s graphic on the sleeve of this one! The sleeve doesn't match the record, it's a Columbia one whereas the record inside was produced by Mercury - but these sleeves were usually added by the record shop anyway as the discs were delivered in plain packaging. Most of the sleeves are from local Lancashire record shops in the 1950s, and I was told that these are often bought by collectors of local history who frame them and don't care about the record inside - I wasn't having that, these are going to be played and enjoyed.


The tracks are:

Fats Domino: Blueberry Hill/I Can't Go On
The Platters: You'll Never Never Know/It Isn't Right
Bill Haley: Rock Around The Clock/Thirteen Women
Bill Haley: R-O-C-K/The Saints Rock 'n' Roll
Little Richard: Lucille/Send Me Some Lovin'
Everly Brothers: All I Have To Do Is Dream/Claudette


This is a lovely old deco safe that resides in my dentist's waiting room. I love the little painted square pattern around the door.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! Thanks for the comment on my blog. The blouse pattern my mum used was a Wearing History one - http://www.wearinghistorypatterns.com/products/Smooth-Sailing-1930s-Sports-Togs-Pattern.html
    =D
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I will take a look. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think shipping wold be between $10-15 USD. I can ship it the cheapest and can insure it too. Thanks for your interest!! :)

    ReplyDelete